The Risk Management and Insurance certificate program will focus on identifying, accessing and managing risks facing businesses and organizations.
Organizations that manage risk well are more likely to be successful than those that do not. Effective risk management requires a solid understanding of the sources, dimensions and qualities of risk, as well as the development and implementation of efficient techniques to mitigate, control or avoid those risks. Gain these skills and become competitive in the field of risk management and insurance.
By the time students graduate, they should be able to:
- Identify and analyze typical operational and financial risks faced by organizations
- Assess and quantify organizational risks
- Analyze and address deficiencies in corporate insurance coverages
- Develop strategies for brokering corporate insurance
- Understand how insurance companies operate
The Risk Management and Insurance Certificate is available to all university students, and will require the following core courses:
- Finance 3000 (3 hrs): Corporate Finance OR Finance 2000 (3 hrs): Survey of Business Finance
- Finance 4630 (3 hrs): Introduction to Risk Management and Insurance (prerequisite for 4640)
- Finance 4632 (3 hrs): Principles of Property and Casualty Insurance
- Finance 4640 (3hrs): Enterprise Risk Management - Capstone (P—Finance 4630) (Offered starting Spring 16)
In addition, students will be required to complete an internship which must involve experience in Risk Management and Insurance. All internships must be approved by RMI Program Director.
- BA 4500 (3 hrs) for business students (must also be approved by PDP Office)
- Finance 4185 (1 hr) for non-business students
Are you eligible?
This certificate program is available to all University of Missouri students. In order to take the Introduction to Risk Management and Insurance course, students must have completed, or be enrolled in, Finance 2000 or 3000.
Risk Management and Insurance prepares you for careers in:
- Insurance underwriting and claims management
- Insurance sales and brokering
- Corporate risk management
- Banking and financial services
- Governance and compliance
- Employee benefits