Choose a business minor to develop a more dynamic educational experience beyond your major. The business minor has the same rigor and content as the fundamental courses taken by business majors, yet preserves the flexibility in your studies. Two hallmarks of business education are its breadth and diversity. The business minor includes courses that are highly complementary. For most students, the business minor as a total package is far more valuable than a similar number of courses in one or two areas. Because of its diversity, most students will find one or more of the required classes to be challenging.
There are no special admission requirements; simply apply for the minor as soon as you have officially decided to pursue the minor. However, if at any point you change your major, you will need to apply again for the minor because the minor can only be added to your current academic program. You can apply for the business minor using the online form found on this page or by completing the form in 111 Cornell Hall. The minor will be verified and awarded the semester you graduate after grades have been finalized. All business minor applications must be submitted prior to graduating. The business minor is intended to complement your major, and the minor is recognized only when that degree is completed.
It is highly recommended you see an academic advisor in 111 Cornell Hall as soon as you decide to pursue the minor to cover any questions you may have about the requirements. You do not need an appointment. You can meet with an on-call advisor between the hours of 8:00am and 11:30am and 1:00pm and 4:00pm.
Elements of the Business Minor
- The business minor is available to undergraduate students from any other college at Mizzou. Students earning a Trulaske College of Business degree cannot be awarded a business minor.
- Students must complete the 18-hour set of required courses.
- At least 15 of the 18 total hours must be taken in residence at the University of Missouri.
- To earn the business minor, students must have at least a 2.00 business minor GPA in the required courses. If a student has taken more than 18 business hours, all business courses (Accountancy, Economics, Finance, Management and Marketing) taken will be included when calculating the business minor GPA.
- Requirements below for Fall 2012 forward:
|Required Courses||Credit Hours|
Introduction to Accounting (ACCT 2010)*
|Microeconomics (ECON 1014)
Applied Microeconomics (AG Econ 1041)
General Economics (Econ 1051)
|Survey of Business Finance (FIN 2000)
Corporate Finance (FIN 3000)
|Fundamentals of Management (MGMT 3000)||3|
|Principles of Marketing (MKT 3000)||3|
|Total Business Minor Hours:||18|
*Accountancy 2010 (Introduction to Accounting) is a one-semester survey class designed for non-business majors.
**Accountancy 2026 (Accounting I) is a 9-month self-paced online course offered through Mizzou Online.
***A Business Elective is any Accountancy, Economics, Finance, Management or Marketing course above the 3000 level beyond what is already required for the minor.