Loren Nikolai is the E&Y Professor Emeritus in the School of Accountancy at the University of Missouri (MU) in Columbia, where he taught for over 40 years. He taught introductory accounting, intermediate accounting, financial case analysis, and accounting policy. Loren received his BA and MBA from St. Cloud State University and his PhD from the University of Minnesota, and is a CPA.
Loren had many years of service, including being:
- President of the Federation of Schools of Accountancy (FSA) in 1994 and Director of Education for the American Accounting Association in 1985-1987
- Director of 150-Hour Program and Masters Program, School of Accountancy at the University of Missouri, 2002-2008
- Lead author of Intermediate Accounting, with John Bazley and Jeff Jones (11th edition, January 2010, Cengage Learning) and co-author of Accounting: Information for Business Decisions, with Billie Cunningham (4th edition, 2014, Cengage Learning)
- Author of many articles published in The Accounting Review, Journal of Accounting Research, Journal of Accounting Education, Management Accounting, The Accounting Educator’s Journal, The CPA Journal, Policy Analysis, Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Business Research, and other professional journals
- Faculty Vice President of the Beta Alpha Psi chapter at MU for 20 years
- Member of Mystical 7 Honorary Society
- A 7-handicap golfer, piano player, and punster
Loren and his wife, Anita (a professional artist), have been married for more than 50 years and have two adult children and two cats. They are the proud grandparents of 4 grandsons and 4 adult step children.