Trulaske advisor, 10 students recognized at annual state collegiate DECA conference
Ten Trulaske College of Business students and their advisor received awards at the annual state career development conference for the Collegiate DECA Missouri Association, held February 27-28, 2020, in Lake Ozark, Missouri.
MU’s DECA chapter advisor, Lindsay Hing, a business career specialist at Trulaske, received the chapter Advisor of the Year award. Each DECA Association annually recognizes an outstanding chapter advisor for his or her who demonstrates excellence implementing DECA’s Comprehensive Learning Program into classroom or extended learning. Awardees are also selected based on their dedication and connects of DECA programs and members into the larger business community, fostering new partnerships and motivating DECA student members to excel in their academic performance.
“I have been with Collegiate DECA for close to three years, and I have watched each of these amazing students continue to grow personally and professionally,” Hing said. “Being awarded the Advisor of the Year was such a shock to me. I had no idea it was coming, but it solidified that I’m moving in the right direction with these students, and I can’t wait to continue to grow with them.”
Prior to the competition, students took part in online exams. Trulaske accountancy senior Kacie Huxol and BS BA sophomore Taylor Hayes were recognized at the conference for their high scores on the finance and entrepreneurship exams, respectively. Students placed in 10 of the individual case study competitions, sweeping the category of financial accounting.
Student winners are:
- First place – Jacob Black, senior, BS BA
- Second place – Kacie Huxol
- Third place – Meredith Spencer, 150-hour program graduate student, accountancy
- First place – Taylor Hayes
- Second place – Meredith Spencer
Fashion Merchandising & Marketing
- Third place – Fiona Thurow, junior, international business
Hotel and Lodging
- First place – Davis Kendrick, sophomore, undeclared business
Human Resource Management
- First place – Soley Kilian, senior, BS BA
- First place – Alexis Daigle, sophomore, BS BA
- Third place – Suzanne Zborowski, senior, BS BA
Retail Management Marketing
- First place – Britni Gortner, junior, BS BA
Restaurant and Food Service Management
- First place – Taylor Hayes
Sales Management Marketing
- Third place – Soley Kilian
Travel and Tourism
- Second place – Hannah Wilson, junior, international business
- Third place – Davis Kendrick
In its 70th year, Missouri DECA provides services to more than 7,500 students enrolled in Marketing and Cooperative Education programs throughout the state. DECA's comprehensive learning program integrates into classroom instruction, applies learning, connects to business, and promotes competition. DECA prepares the next generation to be academically prepared, community oriented, professionally responsible and experienced leaders.
Missouri's marketing and cooperative education students attain the skills necessary to succeed in today's global industry through our unique co-curricular philosophy that closely integrates classroom instruction, DECA and work-based experiences.