The Trulaske Business Academy was established in 2008 to serve as a pre-college summer program for minority students interested in business. The goal of this week-long residential program is to introduce students to the various disciplines and career opportunities within the business world, while also experiencing life on a college campus.
- Special attention is paid to the areas of accounting, finance, management and marketing, which are areas of study in our college.
- Students interact with faculty and staff from the Trulaske College of Business in a classroom setting.
- Hands-on activities and team competitions are incorporated into the lessons to help students connect the material to the real world.
- Alumni and corporate partners lead activities to help students explore career opportunities in business.
- Students are exposed to lessons about professionalism, team work, communication, and leadership skills.
Application & Cost
Rising 10th, 11th, and 12th grade minority students are eligible to apply for the program. Applications are available in early March and students will be notified of their admission in May. Students will need to complete an essay and submit an official high school transcript as part of their application. All students selected to participate in the Trulaske Business Academy are awarded a scholarship to cover the cost of the general cost of the program (i.e. meals, lodging, activities).
What to Expect
Participants of the Trulaske Business Academy will spend a majority of their day in classroom activities facilitated by faculty, staff, and corporate representatives. Evenings are spent participating in social activities with Academy Coordinators and Counselors exploring the Mizzou campus and Columbia area.
Accommodations & Dress
All participants of the Academy will be housed in the University Residence Halls, which are centrally located on the beautiful Mizzou campus and within close proximity to a Campus Dining facility. Students will be paired with a roommate of the same gender and will live on the same floor of the residence hall with the Academy Counselors. Participants will eat a majority of their meals in our campus dining halls that provide an all-you-care-to-eat menu with a large selection. Business casual dress is required during the Trulaske Business Academy, so students will need to bring at least one nice pair of slacks. Participants will be provided with three business casual polo shirts and two T-shirts, which they will have the chance to wear during outdoor and evening activities. Participants will be walking to and from most sessions, so comfortable shoes are important.