Calendar date listed is the start date for online experience. Students will have one week (8 a.m. Monday to 11:59 p.m. Sunday) to complete required activities via Canvas.
Cover letters are an important way to make a first impression, and can open a lot of doors for a job seeker. Students will learn tips, tricks and key thoughts about crafting a cover letter through various online exercises.
Successful completion of this session includes submision of two peices from the student: (1) a job description for a job that they aspire to, and (2) a cover letter written with that specific job aspired to in mind, using the information learned. Specialists from TCoB Business Career Services will give feedback on each individual student submission in this one-of-a-kind online opportunity. Capacity is limited to 20 participants per session to allow for personalized feedback from career services professionals.
Students will have one week (8 a.m. Monday to 11:59 p.m. Sunday) to complete. It is highly recommended that students plan ahead to allow time for BCS reviews/recommendations, and then re-writes, before the close date/time.
ABOUT THIS EVENT
- 2-4 hours is the expected time commitment for successful completion.
- 20 PDP points earned for successful completion.
- Inspire Others | Competency/ies addressed in this professional development experience.
- The BA/PDP office is the organizer for this event. The timeline for processing PDP points and other event details will be as outlined in the PDP Programming Syllabus (click on the link at business.missouri.edu/PDP).
This session takes students beyond the foundational knowledge gained in the BA course series (BA 1500, BA 2500, BA 3500) and helps students prepare for BA 4500 internship course opportunities and the professional world beyond.
REQUIREMENTS & EXPECTATIONS
Students must meet the requirements for successful completion in order to receive PDP points. Successful completion of this PDP online experience will entail:
- Tegrity video review
- Achieve a combined 70% minimum average score on the assignment and quiz regarding cover letter knowledge:
- (a) Truman's Job Search exercise, and
- (b) Test Your Cover Letter Knowledge
- Experiential exercise:
- Submission of appropriate job description that student aspires to – must be something the student would actually apply for as a high-level internship or post-graduation position. NOTE: Submissions cannot be for a position the student has already obtained.
- Submission of cover letter that relates to the job description submitted in step one, above. Overall submission may include re-working/re-submission of the cover letter after review from a Business Career Services (BCS) specialist. The BCS specialist will determine if the submission is appropriate, and therefore complete. Students will have only one opportunity to re-submit after BCS initial review. A possible extension of the Canvas session will be determined by the BCS specialist on a case-by-case basis.
- Submission of a current resume. Resume is to provide context only, and will not be graded.