Frequently Asked Questions


Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update:

Business Academic Advising Remote Services

Out of caution for everyone’s health and safety, academic advising services will continue to be facilitated primarily in a remote format via Zoom through the Fall 2020 semester.

Scheduled Advising Appointments If you schedule a new advising appointment via MU Connect, you will be provided with your advisor’s Zoom virtual meeting link via email. Zoom will provide you with a more enhanced experience than we can offer by phone. However, if you experience technical difficulties, you should email your advisor right away and they will speak with you by phone during your scheduled appointment time, or reschedule the appointment if more time is needed. Be sure to log into Zoom at least 5 minutes before your appointment so you have time to call for your appointment if you run into any issues.

On-Call Advising Support We will still provide on-call advising support primarily via Zoom:

On-call advisors are available for quick questions or concerns (e.g. withdrawing from a course) on weekdays from 8:00-11:30 a.m. and 1:00-4:30 p.m. (with a few exceptions due to staff meetings). In addition to accessing our Zoom on-call account, you may also call our office at (573) 882-7073 or email us at during these hours and we will connect you with the on-call advisor as soon as possible. Someone will follow-up with you within 1 business day.

Transfer of Division Sessions Advising sessions for current Mizzou students interested in transferring into business will be offered via Zoom. Please sign up using MU Connect.  

Please continue to check your MU email account regularly for important updates. If you have any questions or concerns during this time, do not hesitate to reach out to your academic advisor or our office in general. We are here to help!

You assigned advisor is listed on myZou in a gray box on the right hand side of the page. If you are incoming new student, your advisor will be assigned to you after attend a Summer or Winter Welcome orientation day.

You cannot just walk in and meet with your advisor. They are busy meeting with students and aren’t always available on a walk in basis. But, there is an on call advisor available for certain situations. They are available for quick deadline related processes such as withdrawing from a course, filing a business minor, applying for graduation or a personal emergency. Anything pertaining to your class schedule will require an appointment with your assigned advisor.

On-Call Hours (these are subject to change due to meetings): 8-11:30 a.m. and 1-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Here are step by step instructions to set up an appointment with your advisor using MUConnect via Canvas. It is available to you 24 hours a day!

To make an appointment:

  1. Visit
  2. Sign in to Canvas
  3. Click on MU Connect tab at the bottom left
  4. Click on "My Success Network" on the left of the page. 
  5. You will see your advisor and it will show a link to “show available appointments” and you are ready to find a time that works in your schedule to meet with your advisor. 

Your registration date/time is determined and assigned by the Registrar and is sent to you by email and posted on myZou.

No, it is not the same. Your registration date/time is determined and assigned by the Registrar and is sent to you by email and posted on myZou. You will not enroll with your advisor during your appointment. Your advisor will talk with you about the classes that you need, as well as any holds that may be on your account. You then will enroll on your own using myZou on your assigned enrollment date. 

You may have a hold on your account for a variety of reasons. You can see your holds by logging into myZou. Placing a hold on your account is a way for the University to communicate with you that there is an action item that you need to take care of. You can see your holds on the right hand side of your myZou Student Center in the top gray box.  

Some examples of holds are Cashier’s, Student Health, Student Affairs, or College of Business (due to steps needed to be taken for probation or other issues that you need to meet with your advisor to resolve). There is a details box under the hold that you can click on to see the steps that you need to take to get the hold removed. 

Once you have searched for and found the class that you are interested in, you can find what the prerequisites for a class are by clicking on the Class #.

This will show you a lot of information about the class including the prerequisites. 

Contact the appropriate department and/or course instructor about getting a permission number. Permission numbers are granted at the discretion of the department and/or instructor. It is their prerogative to decline to give a permission number, so you should contact the department directly to ask about a permission number. Advisors cannot give permission numbers. If you can't get a permission number, you can watch for seats to open during Add/Drop by checking myZou frequently.

Students may drop a course through the end of the business day of the fifth week or the 25th class day of the semester. It will have no effect on the grade point average. After the 25th class day, students must begin in their academic advising unit and receive approval from their academic advising unit. After the last day to drop, students are “withdrawing” from a course if they choose to leave the course. Students may withdraw from a course through the end of the business day of the 10th week or 50th class day of the semester. At this point a grade of “W” for withdraw is recorded if the student was passing at the time of withdrawal. If the student was failing at the time of withdrawal, the course grade is F. The instructor determines which grade to assign. A “W” grade does not affect the grade point average, while a grade of F does. The grade generally will not appear until all grades for the course are submitted at the end of the semester.

The Academic Calendar on the Registrar’s website will have the updated dates each semester of when you can drop or withdraw from a class.

If you are within the time frame to drop a class, you can easily do that through myZou. Log into myZou and click on Enroll. From there you should see a button that says “Drop.” Click on the class that you would like to drop and then complete the steps to Drop Selected Class.

If you are within the time period to withdraw from a course, your first step is to meet with your instructor and request that they give you a W. You will want them to sign a Course Withdrawal Grade Verification form, which you can get from the front desk in the Undergraduate Advising Office in 111 Cornell. After you have that signed from your instructor bring it back to 111 Cornell and you can meet with the on call advisor to fill out the course withdrawal form.  It does require a signature from your academic unit and a dean’s stamp, so you must have an advisor fill it out. Then you will take the form to the registrar’s office in 125 Jesse Hall and they will withdraw you from the class. 

Find forms and more information about the Add/Drop/Withdrawal process on the registrar’s website.

The Undergraduate Advising Office in 111 Cornell Hall, can complete all paperwork that requires a Dean’s signature for undergraduate business students. You do not need to contact the Dean directly. 

Yes. There are guidelines to keep in mind though. Check with your academic advisor about the specific courses that you need to complete to ensure that it will meet a business specific requirement. Use the Transfer Course Equivalency in myZou to see what courses are offered at a specific institution and the Mizzou course that it is equivalent to. If you are taking the course at another institution within the University of Missouri system (UMKC, UMSL or Missouri S&T) the grade for the transfer course will factor into your UM Cumulative GPA of Record. Otherwise it will meet the requirement, but it will not be factored into the GPA.  The University Residency Policy states all students must complete 30 of their last 36 hours in residence at Mizzou.

Course Equivalency

Degree requirements are available to you in checksheet form for each Business Administration emphasis area on our website.

1. Under Emphasis Areas, click your appropriate Emphasis Area.

2. Under Ready to Track Your Progress?, select the appropriate checksheet based on your catalog year (your catalog year is typically the term in which you first enrolled at MU).

Your assigned catalog year typically defaults to the term you were originally admitted to the University of Missouri. Your catalog year determines what degree requirements you must complete in order to graduate. Degree requirements change from year-to-year, so it is important to know your catalog year. Your degree requirements may be different than your friend who started at MU in a different term!

Your degree audit serves as an unofficial transcript, tracking your progress towards degree requirements.

You can access this through myZou:

  1. You will log in using your myZou pawprint and password.
  2. Click on “Self Service” and then “Student Center”
  3. On the left hand side you will see a link that says “Request Degree Audit.” 
  4. Switch the View Input to PDF. 
  5. Click on Submit New Audit Request.
  6. Click on refresh list until the audit shows up below.
  7. Click on Open Audit. 

In order to calculate your GPA, you need to first change the grade to a number, called quality points.

A (4.0) A- (3.7)
B+ (3.3) B (3.0)
B- (2.7) C+ (2.3)
C (2.0) C- (1.7)
D+ (1.3) D (1.0)
D- (0.7) F (0.0)
  • You will take the total quality points divided by the total number of hours, (38.5 \ 14)  so you will have earned a 2.75 term GPA.Grade point average is the sum of all quality points divided by the total number of hours.
  • For example, if you earned: 3 hours of “A”    (4   points x 3 hours = 12 quality points) 3 hours of “B”    (3   points x 3 hours =   9 quality points) 3 hours of “C”    (2   points x 3 hours =   6 quality points) 5 hours of “C+” (2.3 points x 5 hours = 11.5 quality points) 14 hours total                                        38.5 quality points total

In order to find your Trulaske GPA you will need to pull your degree audit. You can do this through myZou.

  1. You will log in using your myZou pawprint and password.
  2. Click on “Self Service” and then “Student Center”
  3. On the left hand side you will see a link that says “Request Degree Audit.” 
  4. Switch the View Input to PDF.
  5. Click on Submit New Audit Request.
  6. Click on refresh list until the audit shows up below.
  7. Click on Open Audit.
  8. Look for the section labeled Trulaske College of Business Cumulative GPA.

All of your Professional EDGE points are tracked online through an application called Suitable.

Each semester a list of classes that are designated as Writing Intensive will be posted on the Campus Writing Program’s website. Find them here. You can then search on myZou and see what is available.

You can also search directly using myZou, using the advanced search tool.

  1. On the myZou search page, click on Additional Search Criteria after putting in the desired semester. 
  2. Under Course Attribute in the drop down menu choose Writing Intensive. Choose Writing Intensive for the Course Attribute Value as well. 
  3. Make sure that the section you are enrolling in says Writing Intensive in the course attributes. The same class can be offered as both writing intensive and non-writing intensive sections. 

English 1000 is considered a Writing Intensive (WI) course. Everyone at MU must complete English 1000 with at least a C- or above. In addition to English 1000, all students must complete another two courses designated as WI. One of these WI courses needs to be outside the College of Business, and the other will be a designated WI business course. Both WI courses also require grades of at least C-. You can find a list of courses designated as Writing Intensive courses here. After you search this list you can then search for them on myZou when you are ready to enroll. Make sure that the section you are enrolling in says Writing Intensive in the course attributes. The same class can be offered as both writing intensive and non-writing intensive sections.

You can search for your class here to determine what requirement a class will meet. 

Your required number of electives will fluctuate depending on some of your catalog year, other course selections, and on which emphasis area you eventually choose. The amount of electives that you will need will depend on the amount of hours still left over after all of the requirements have been met to meet the required amount of credit hours for the degree. For most degrees the needed amount of elective hours is either 6 or 11.

Each degree requires a different amount of credit hours:

  • BS BA: 120 hours
  • International Business: 136-153 hours 
  • Accounting: 150 hours

The Trulaske College of Business has placed you on academic probation because you have not met the GPA requirements to remain in good academic standing.


  1. When a student’s GPA falls below 2.0 for a single semester (term or cumulative GPA) but is at least a 1.0 the student is placed on academic probation.
  2. In order to regain good academic standing a student placed on academic probation must establish:
  • 2.00 Semester GPA
  • 2.00 University of Missouri Cumulative GPA
  • 2.00 Trulaske GPA for those students already in the Upper Level

3. Students placed on probation may become ineligible to enroll at the end of their first semester of probation if they become subject to dismissal.

Types of Probation

  1. Continuing Probation: If a student’s semester GPA, MU cumulative GPA, and/or Trulaske College of Business GPA (Upper Level students only) remain below a 2.0 but above a 1.0 after a semester on probation, that student is continued on probation and has one semester to get in good academic standing. (Summer semesters excluded.) If a student has a 2.0 UM cumulative GPA or higher after their second semester on probation due to semester GPA and/or Trulaske GPA, they will be placed on continued probation for another semester and remain in this status for subsequent semesters so long as their UM cumulative GPA is a 2.0 or higher.

  2. Ineligible to Enroll (Dismissal)- Students may become ineligible to enroll if one or more of the following occurs:
  • A student’s semester, UM cumulative, or Trulaske GPA falls below a 1.00.  (Trulaske GPA only falls to Upper Level students.)
  • The student fails to earn Good Academic Standing within one semester of being placed on Continued or Final Probation.

3. Final Probation-An undergraduate student is placed onto Final Probation if their dismissal appeal is granted. This student will then have one semester to earn good academic standing. If the student does not earn good academic standing, then they will be dismissed a second time. A second dismissal is considered permanent.

Be sure to watch you email and be in contact with your advisor about your probation status to help you get back on track and make a plan for success. 

If you retook a class to do a grade replacement you need to complete a GPA adjustment form and then submit it to the Registrar’s Office which is located in 125 Jesse Hall.

Complete the form online

In order for the grade replacement to be valid you must retake the same class with the same course number. For example, retake Math 1100 to replace Math 1100. You can only replace courses that you have received a C- or lower in. You may only replace up to 15 hours.

The Committee for Revision of Records reviews petitions from students asking for changes to their academic records. Students should discuss the petition process with their adviser before appealing to the committee to verify that changes are warranted and will benefit the student.

You will need to go to the Advising Office of the department of the minor that you are applying to. To apply for a business minor you can come into 111 Cornell Hall and meet with an on call advisor or you can submit it online.

Apply for a business minor

Studying abroad is sure to be a rich experience, and you can take your required classes while you are there! Your first step is to attend Study Abroad 101, which is offered through the International Center.

Check here to see when the next one is offered

Then you will want to meet with an International Center Advisor to discuss location, programs and options. Once you have been accepted to your desired program you will set up an appointment with your business advisor and you will talk through how your study abroad classes will meet your business requirements. Then go and see the world and be sure update your advisor on how it went!

There are also business specific study abroad trips that are offered over Winter and Summer intercession. Business classes are offered and it is a great chance to travel with your classmates and business professors.

Click here for more information

If you have decided to transfer out of the Trulaske College of Business, you will want to contact the department directly that you would like to transfer into and set up an appointment with their advising office. This will allow you to talk about what you need in order to align your classes toward your new career goal, fill out the Transfer of Division paperwork and began to establish a relationship with your advisor in your new field of study.

Degree programs at Mizzou

Departments' contact info

The Upper Level application is the process where you rank which emphasis area that you would like to pursue. (The following requirements apply to students starting college Fall 2016 or after. If you started college prior to Fall 2016, please visit 111 Cornell for a complete list of requirements.) In order to be eligible to apply to the Upper Level you need to have completed between 45 and 60 credit hours, have a minimum 2.6 cumulative GPA, as well as have completed or be in progress with the ten Upper Level required courses. The courses are Math 1100, Math 1400, Math 1300, Stat 2500, Business Administration 1500, Business Administration 2500, Acct 2036, Acct 2037, Accounting 2258, Econ 1014, Econ 1015 and ENG 1000. These requirements do NOT guarantee a student admission the Upper Level.

The Upper Level application is open twice a year, once in the Fall (September 1 through the 15) and once in the Spring (February 1 through the 15). You will receive an email from the Business Advising Office a few weeks before to let you know that you qualify to apply to the Upper Level and with a link to the application. The Accounting application is only open in the Spring and you need to have at least a 3.0 to apply.

You can apply for graduation by coming in to 111 Cornell Hall to meet with an on call advisor. The advisor will make sure that you have met all of your degree requirements and give you some valuable information about graduation. Watch your email for information about the Graduation Blitz that happens the first week of every semester. You can also apply using the online graduation application.

Your first step in transferring into the Trulaske College of Business is to attend a Transfer of Division session to learn more about The Trulaske College of Business and the requirements to transfer in. At these sessions you will hear a short presentation from a College of Business advisor and then have an opportunity to meet one on one with a College of Business Advisor. During this meeting you can complete the Transfer of Division form if you meet the requirements, and talk through classes and any questions that you may have. These sessions occur weekly on alternating Tuesdays and Thursdays at 1:00 p.m. via Zoom. Register in advance through MU Connect or contact the Advising Office to register.

Please sign up for these sessions by using the following steps:

  • Log on to MU Connect.
  • Select the hamburger button (icon with three horizontal lines on the top left of the page).
  • Select My Success Network.
  • Search for Business Advising Desk in the search services and people bar.
  • Select Business Advising Desk: BUSNU Academic Major Advisor.
  • Click Schedule Appointment.
  • Click Business Transfer of Division Presentation.
  • Click Interested in Transferring to Business.
  • Click Continue (in the lower right corner of the page) and follow the prompts to schedule your TOD Session.

If you are having problems signing up please call 573-882-7073

Transfer Guidelines for Business & Accountancy:

  1. Option A: 3.0 GPA and have COMPLETED Math 1100 & English 1000 - Can complete all upper level business requirements by two semesters.
  2. Option B (In-Progress)
Credits Business
29 credits & below 2.2 GPA (All FTC during first semester)
30-44 credits 2.4 GPA and Math 1100
45-59 credits 2.6 GPA and Math 1100, Math 1300 or Math 1400, Econ 1014 or 1015
60 credits 2.6 GPA and All Upper Level Requirements

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Transfer of Division International Students:

  • Paper-based: 550
  • Internet-based: 79